Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

I have already a small pinbrush and spray leave in conditioner for dogs. any advice on the basic brush/combs i will need? I went to my breeder to learn to do the top knots but i need the right equipment.



I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

Keeping a Shih Tzu's hair long takes a lot of dedication- if you let it slide, even for one day, you can cause some serious mats that will need to be shaved out. So, to do it right, you'll need, in addition to your pin brush, a metal comb. You will need to comb through your puppy's hair daily- the pin brush is good, but the comb will make sure that you get through all of the hairs and all the way to the skin. Most owners end up brushing the top and don't realize they are not getting the matts under the coat until it's too late- you can't always see the mats, but if you really run your fingers through the hair, you'll feel them.



Also, I would recommend keeping a rolled leather collar on your puppy instead of the buckle collar. We use the rolled leather on our poodles, and it helps keep the matting down.



Good luck! A full coat of hair on a shih tzu is beautiful!



I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

Check the pet shop ask them always check near the ears



They always love getting double in their ears



me and my family have trouble combing them out but he gets his hair cut every 5months or so.



I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

The pin brush is the brush you'll use the most - it's the brush you brush the whole dog with. You'll also need a small slicker for teasing out mats. You need to be careful with this one because, if you're too rough with it, you can cause slicker burn. When you need to use it, you work on small pieces at a time and I like to put my hand against the dog's skin so you're not brushing against the dog. The other thing you might want is a wide-tooth comb just to finish up with to make sure you didn't leave behind any tangles. But don't start with it because any mats will catch and pull and your puppy won't like being groomed because it will hurt.



I think it's great you want to let your puppy's hair grow. I love long haired dogs and have always loved grooming them (and my dogs have loved the whole thing). My only advice is start now, while your puppy's young and doesn't need much. Have the puppy lying on its side to get used to the whole process so when it takes longer, the puppy will be loving the 1-on-1 attention!



I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

Be prepared to brush 3-4 times a day the pin brush is ok also get a pet comb



I'm picking up my Shih tzu puppy this weekend and want to let the hair grow out.?

That long coat will take a lot of work, but it'll be worth it if you take good care of your puppy and brush regularly. Shih Tzus are wicked sweet, I grew up with one, and I noticed you can see their faces better if you keep them groomed short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mcaffee