Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bad Refrence???

I am in nursing school and needed a letter of refrence to be filled out. I asked one of my teachers to do it. She did. However, I have now found out that she gave me a shitty refrence!! She counted me off on punctuality. I work at the school and get off at exactly the same time class starts. She knows this. By the time I get my bag, climb 3 flights of stairs, I am MAYBE 2 minutes late (she is usually still calling roll when I walk in).



She also counted me off on hygiene!! Mind you, there are days that I don't feel like putting on make-up but I ALWAYS have clean clothes, deodorant on, teeth and hair brushed, and I don't look THAT bad without make-up.



The last thing she counted me off on was work management. Mind you I have a husband, a 16 month old baby, work full time, take full time classes, and have maintained a 4.0 GPA for over 4 semesters. How do I have bad work management???



What the hell??? Any adivce???



Bad Refrence???

Oject lesson: you never, ever, ever, ever, ever use anyone as a reference unless you know for sure that what they say about you is going to be positive. (Also be very sure that anyone you use as a reference will not refer an asker to someone who will say something bad. This is a trick that some reference-checkers will use: after talking to the person who is a listed reference, they will ask that person if they know of anyone else who they can ask about you. In this way, they hope to get someone who you have not screened for a reference.)



FWIW, I think the best thing you can do is remove this woman from your list of references and chalk this incident up to experience. Get a new reference, one you know will be positive, and move on.



Bad Refrence???

Ok, I feel like a useless broken record about this but sometimes I feel like I should ask.



Have you talked to your teacher about it? Maybe she's one of those teachers that notice all the bad things before the good things?



Bad Refrence???

sound like you have issues. you should ask your teacher these questions.



Bad Refrence???

I would send her a letter politely asking wsking why she checked you on eachthing. Maybe you will learn something from this or she will.



Bad Refrence???

dont know if its the same where you are but here (UK) you arent allowed to give a bad reference....you can just refuse to do one. i'd confront her about it. if she has all these 'issues' with you why hasnt she spoken to you rather than agreeing to do this and saboutaging you!



Bad Refrence???

Obviously you cannot discuss this with the teacher. Maybe you could remind her after class that you have so much going on and how you are managing. Try to apologize for coming to class late even though it is only 2 min or so ( she obviously notices) .



The conversation could go like this: I just want to say that I am really sorry that I arrive late for class even though it is only 2 min. I work on the first floor and get off at the exact same time as this class begins so I make a mad dash to get my bag and climb 3 flights of stairs to get here as fast as possible. I have a family, which includes a baby, and I have to work to be able to go to school. It is really hard to work full time, go to school full time and maintain my 4.o grade average and care for my husband and child. But I am doing this to have a better future for my family.



Another way would be to take your bag to your work place if possible and to ask your supervisor if you could get off 2 min early so that you could be to class on time.



Good luck you are to be commended on your ethics and your vision of a brighter future for you and your family. Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mcaffee