Friday, November 27, 2009

I have a long hair cat full of mats?

i was wondering the best way to get them out . there is no groomer in town that deals with cats and i cant seem to brush them out.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

are you can cut them out with a small pair of sissors,then brush her out. It will take some time and possbile 2 people,one to hold and one to cut,but be careful not to cut the skin..If you are under 16 don't do this pls,Let a grown up do it for you. Then brush her everyday,she will get groomed and you will show her you love her by brushing her..Good Luck



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

Shave him. They do have brushes that are meant for mats, but usually shaving is best/easiest. You can just start over and make sure this time you groom daily.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

shaving is probably your best bet. Or snip away the matted areas. After that, you'll have to brush your cat on a very regular basis. Twice a week won't cut it. Especially he's an outdoor cat. He could have some stuff trapped in the matted hair that you don't know about and bringing it in your house. You should try to keep his hair trimmed to avoid matting.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

I have this same problem with my cat. I got a comb called a 'Shed Ender' (approx. $14.99) at Bed Bath and Beyond. I brush him once a week and you would not believe how much hair that simple little thing removes from long haired cats. I also bought a pet trimmer (approx. $29.99) at Kmart and I trim his fur at the beginning of the summer so that he is more comfortable in the heat. That said he hates being shaved but he is so much happier once it's done and over with. Not to mention that he has alot less mats.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

I have to agree with everyone else, you need to take him to the vet and have him shaved. This will not be cheap because they will put the cat under anesthesia before turning on the clippers.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

he has to be shaved bottom line you might have to drive to take him having a long haired cat is a big responsibility if its too much get your cat a new home...sorry but i am a groomer and those matts hurt like hell your kitty is in pain.....



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

Call the veterinarian. A lot will sedate or anesthetize cats and shave them. More expensive than groomers, but less stressful.



If you don't have any around that will do that, then get some clippers (you can get cheap ones at wal-mart) don't go close to the skin, and shave the mats off. It will probably take a few trys, as a lot of cats don't tolerate this very will, and it will probably look silly, but you can get it short enough to comb out.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

They sell mat removers which generally work pretty well. Also available are do it yourself grooming kits. If the mats are close and tight to the skin, it's painful for kitty and the skin underneath the mat could be red, raw or worse infected. You could also try calling your vet to see if they'll groom kitty for you. Most vets, I would think, are able to do this. If you shave her yourself or de-mat her, just be very careful, like I said, if the mats are tight to the skin it's already painful for your cat. Long haired kitties are high maintence. I believe they also sell a detangler for pets, or maybe it's a certain shampoo. Be very careful grooming him/her. If the skin is raw underneath, you could put some neosporin with pain relief on it, just enough, don't overdo it, and make sure it sits a little while at least before you get the excess off, make sure kitty doesn't lick it! Pet stores also sell pain relievers, sprays that sort of thing for sensitive or irritated skin.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

the easiest thing to do is get him shaved. some vets will clip cats that are of good temperment without sedation.



DO NOT USE SCISSORS. I have seen so many instances of people trying to groom their cats accidentally cutting skin and the cat needing sutures. When the hair gets matted it can twist up and get really close to the skin. Even the most careful person can cut a cat.



So, he should be shaved. Those mats are probally pinching and pulling on his skin, not to mention not letting air get to the skin, which increases the risk for fungal and bacterial skin infections.



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

I agree with RaynesOnyx. If he's an outside cat shaving him could be a BIG mistake. His skin will be delicate and sensitive. He will be more vulnerable to insect bites and stings and to skin injuries and - don't laugh! - Sunburn!



A mat splitter should only be used on a cat by someone who knows how to use it - so DON'T buy one. But, the Shed-Ender is perfect for someone like you who does not have a lot of experience or time. It removes the loose hair and the shedding undercoat. It's well worth the trouble and small expense. OR... you can cut his hair yourself.



I have 2 pissy, long-haired cats who do not like to be brushed every day. I usually use barber scissors to give them homemade "grooming". Trim the long hair on the back of his legs (all 4) short (as short as you can without cutting or knicking the skin). On the rear legs, trim right up to the butt and then continue up the underside of his tail an inch or two. This keeps his legs and the underside of his tail clean - if you know what I mean.



On my laziest cat (he won't groom himself) I also trim his mane shorter and trim his chest and stomach/underside. Start slow. He may not let you trim very much at first but you can trim a little bit every day and eventually you'll get it all.



It takes a lot of practice to make it look good, but if you are patient and careful, you'll find this to be a cheap (and maybe even easy) way to take care of him and prevent mats. Yes, he will get made fun of by all the other cats in the neighborhood until you develope some skill, but he wouldn't look so funny if he took better care of himself!!!



When they get mats I use a steel comb to put BETWEEN the mat and the skin, then I use the scissors to cut as much of the mat off as I can. ((With the steel comb I minimize the risk of cutting my cats' skin open by accident by using it to block the scissor blades from coming into contact with the skin.)) The thin layer of mat that is left can be combed - or licked - loose.



Good Luck!



I have a long hair cat full of mats?

cut them off....my cat had the same thing. you cant braush them out once its matted. i learned you can avoid matts if you brush more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mcaffee